- Active time: 25 min
Total time: 6 1/2 hr (includes chilling)
This recipe is part of Wendy Artin's From Rome with Love menu. The menu also includes Pasta with Squid, Tomatoes, and Capers and Veal Bocconcini with Porcini and Rosemary
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 (8-ounces) container mascarpone cheese (1 scant cup)
- 1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
- 2 cups very strong brewed coffee or brewed espresso cooled to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sweet Marsala wine
- 18 savoiardi (crisp Italian ladyfingers, 6 ounce)
- 1/4 cup fine-quality bittersweet chocolate shavings (not unsweetened; made with a vegetable peeler) or 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Beat together yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Beat in mascarpone until just combined.
Beat whites with a pinch of salt in another bowl with cleaned beaters until they just hold soft peaks. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar a little at a time, beating, then continue to beat whites until they just hold stiff peaks. Beat cream in another bowl with cleaned beaters until it just holds soft peaks. Fold cream into mascarpone mixture gently but thoroughly, then fold in whites.
Stir together coffee and Marsala in a shallow bowl. Dip 1 ladyfinger in coffee mixture, soaking it about 4 seconds on each side, and transfer to an 8-inch glass baking dish (2-quart capacity). Repeat with 8 more ladyfingers and arrange in bottom of dish, trimming as needed to fit snugly. Spread half of mascarpone mixture evenly over ladyfingers. Make another layer in same manner with remaining ladyfingers and mascarpone mixture. Chill tiramisu, covered, at least 6 hours.
Just before serving, sprinkle with chocolate.
The eggs in this recipe are not cooked, which may be of concern if there is a problem with salmonella in your area.
Tiramisu can be chilled up to 1 day.