Diary of a Foodie
Warm Tofu with Spicy Garlic Sauce
Diary of a Foodie: Season Three: Korea: Ancient Food, Modern World
- Active time:10 min
- Start to finish:20 min
Watch a clip of this Diary of a Foodie episode and view its accompanying recipes. Plus, explore all episodes and more recipes from the show.
- 1 (14- to 18-oz) package soft tofu (not silken)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tips) and crushed with side of a heavy knife
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse Korean hot red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Carefully rinse tofu, then cover with cold water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then keep warm, covered, over very low heat.
Meanwhile, mince and mash garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt. Stir together with remaining ingredients (except tofu).
Just before serving, carefully lift tofu from saucepan with a large spatula and drain on paper towels. Gently pat dry, then transfer to a small plate. Spoon some sauce over tofu and serve warm. Serve remaining sauce on the side.
- Sauce can be made 1 day ahead and chilled. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Tofu can be kept warm up to 4 hours.
- We’ve also got a Web-exclusive recipe using the leftover Korean hot red-pepper flakes.