2000s Recipes + Menus
Curried Carrot Almond Soup
- Active time:20 min
- Start to finish:50 min
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3/4 teaspoons curry powder (preferably Madras)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 lb carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 4 cilantro sprigs, leaves and stems reserved separately
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
Cook onion in oil with 1/2 tsp salt in a 4-qt heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add curry powder, red-pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add carrots, water, almond milk, cilantro stems, and 1/2 tsp salt and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
Blend soup in batches in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Season with salt.
Serve sprinkled with cilantro leaves and toasted almonds.