2000s Recipes + Menus
Skillet Corn Bread
- Active time:10 min
- Start to finish:30 min
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal (preferably stone-ground)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups cups well-shaken buttermilk (do not use powdered)
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
Special Equipment:a well-seasoned 10-inch skillet
Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in middle. Heat skillet in oven 10 minutes.
Meanwhile stir together dry ingredients in small bowl. Whisk together eggs and buttermilk in a medium bowl.
Remove hot skillet from oven (handle will be very hot) and add butter, swirling skillet to coat bottom and side (butter may brown). Whisk hot butter into buttermilk mixture and return skillet to oven. Stir cornmeal mixture into buttermilk mixture just until evenly moistened but still lumpy.
Scrape batter into hot skillet and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Turn out onto a rack and cool.
- Corn bread for stuffing can be baked 2 days ahead and kept in a sealable bag at room temperature.
- We've also got a web-exclusive recipe using the leftover buttermilk.