2000s Recipes + Menus
Spaghetti With Cauliflower, Green Olives and Almonds
- Active time:35 min
- Start to finish:40 min
- 1 1/4 cups pitted brine-cured green olives (plain or stuffed)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 (2 1/2-lb) head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch-wide florets (8 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 lb dried spaghetti or linguine
- 1 oz finely grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/2 cup; see Tips) plus additional for serving
- 3/4 cup whole almonds with skin (3 3/4 oz), toasted and coarsely chopped (see Tips)
Pulse olives and parsley in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl.
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook cauliflower with salt, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender and garlic is golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir in water and boil 1 minute. Add olive mixture and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water (see Tips), stirring occasionally, until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta-cooking water. Drain in a colander and return to pot.
Add cauliflower mixture and toss well, then add cheese and toss again. If pasta is dry, moisten with some reserved cooking water.
Sprinkle pasta with almonds and serve immediately, with additional cheese on the side.